(Available on the first of each month to Tile Heritage members who e-mail the Foundation from the address they
E-News sent to. Contact: email@example.com)
Summer came early to Northern California. Was it March when we experienced our first fully
warm days? Today the sun burns with more intensity as the little Green Herons silently stalk their prey at the
river's edge, the Black-headed Grosbeaks serenade us with their late season cooing and the butterflies
(four different swallowtails!) abound.
Oh yes, and the local kids are out of school!
Click on each postcard to read up on Tile Heritage's latest journeys!
THF board celebrates its successful mosaic pillar project.
From left: Sheila Menzies, Joe Taylor, Irene de Watteville,
Riley Doty and Donna Billick.
Joe and Sheila took a break from the Tile Heritage office and library on May 11th kicking off a three-week
sojourn, initially to Doylestown to attend the annual Tile Festival at the Moravian Pottery and Tile Works
and thereafter to England and Scotland. They returned on June 2nd.
"Do I remember the price on this tile?" John Hume of Sligo Creek Tile Co.
contemplates as his customer awaits the decision. Note
Pottery and Tile Works in the background.
"Yes, that IS sunshine and it's blinding!" Chris
and Julie Blanchett at
their Holly Tree House in Littlehampton, England.
Ruins of the Lady Chapel at Glastonbury Abbey,
dating to the late 12th century.
In continued sunshine we climbed the Tor above Glastonbury- breathtaking views of the whole city and the countryside
of western Somerset. We could well imagine how it was in the ancient past, an inland sea with the Tor an island of
magical proportions. A few hours later we were heading back north through Gloucestershire, an undulating green vista,
a pleasant ride through the Cotswolds towards the North (all road signs in central England point one to "The North,"
indeed, a foreign land to many).
The town of Hawes on the River Ure in North Yorkshire,
a town where all the buildings are made of stone.
York uses the old word for its Minster, meaning
a center of Christian teaching and ministering. It is, of course, also a
cathedral, containing the Archbishop's "cathedra" or throne. The first
minster was 7th century; the present one is the fourth on the site.
Construction began in 1220 and was completed in 1472, the largest medieval
structure in the United Kingdom.
"Cheerio GB!" Joe and Sheila reluctantly turn in